Tabacks’ Employment Law team is a team that punches well above its weight. The team prides itself on finding practical legal cost effective solutions for clients and striking the right balance between robust decision making and applying cautious attention to detail.
Our core values are respect and trust in one another and our clients. We believe in the strength of our relationships with each other and our clients. Our approach is to provide a seamless service to our clients whilst allowing each team member the freedom and confidence to grow individually and find their niche.
Tabacks’ Employment Law team offers a wide range of regulatory, employment litigation and alternative dispute resolution assistance to high-end clients in various sectors including banking, financial services, chemical, explosives, pharmaceutical, mining, insurance, private equity, retail, advertising, transport and logistics.
Employment law plays a critical role in business in South Africa and is extensively regulated through both legislation and collective agreements between employers and trade unions. Tabacks’s primary focus is on advising employers in this environment.
• Collective employment law
• Individual employment law
• Litigation and alternative dispute resolution
• Restraints of Trade
• Transfers of businesses
Some of the recent matters that the Tabacks Employment team has been involved in are:
- representing a major South African company in the chemical industry in a dispute against another large company in the same industry in an unlawful competition dispute for the recovery of significant damages which originally arose out of a restraint of trade application;
- complex litigation relating to large scale retrenchments in the Constitutional Court;
- litigating on behalf of clients in courts and forums in the Southern African region;
- successfully interdicting strike action for large mining and retail companies in South Africa;
- successfully enforcing restraints against previous employees for companies in the retail, advertising & branding, biotechnology and other industries;
- appearing in a large number of cases at the CCMA, Bargaining Councils, Magistrates Courts, the Labour Court, and the Labour Appeal Court.