Our litigation and dispute resolution team are leaders in both the international and local legal fraternity. The team strives to deliver commercial success and their in-depth knowledge and experience results in only the best support for your business.
The litigation team has some of the most highly respected and skilled litigators in the legal fraternity. The department comprises of multi-disciplinary and dedicated litigation teams offering a wide range of regulatory, corporate commercial litigation and alternative dispute resolution assistance to high-end local and international clients in various sectors including banking and finance, corporate governance, construction, oil and gas, renewable energy, mining, pension funds, private equity, transport and logistics.
Litigation & dispute resolution expertise
• Corporate and commercial litigation
• Insolvency and business rescue proceedings
• International and local arbitration
• Mediation and dispute resolution
Some of the recent matters that the Tabacks Litigation team has been involved in are:
Arbitration and Mediation
- Advising clients in respect of appearances before the Nugent and Zondo Commissions of Inquiry.
- Representing a listed global resources company in arbitral disputes with the purchasers of certain of its South African-based operations.
- Representing a listed international company in the oil and gas industry in a dispute against a major British oil and gas company for the recovery of damages, and trade claims.
- Representing a listed South African chemical company in relation to an environmental liability claim.
- Representing a junior chrome mining company in a time-delay construction dispute.
- Advising and representing cash service providers and cash-in-transit service providers in mediation, arbitration, fraud investigations and asset recovery.
General Commercial Litigation and Strategic Advisory
- Advising an Indian-based state bank in disputes with the South African Reserve Bank.
- Representing liquidators in High Court litigation matters.
- Representing an international company in the meat and poultry industry in a damages claim against a South African company.
- Representing a range of mining companies in High Court litigation proceedings.
- General advisory work and litigation for a local Big Four Audit firm.
- Representing an international company in negotiations regarding the bulk supply of electricity by Eskom in terms of a proposed NPA.
- Representing a property developer in defending an administrative decision to build over 1 000 high-end residential units.
- Rendering a wide range of legal advice to a large transport and logistics company operating throughout Southern Africa.
- Successfully opposing an urgent application against an international resource and mining company regarding alleged environmental transgressions.
- Representing a range of junior coal miners in claims for additional compensation by mining contractors.
- Successfully opposing status quo urgent applications against junior diamond miners.
Business Rescue and Liquidation
- Conducting a cross border liquidation enquiry for a renewable energy company based in India in relation to a Luxembourg listed company.
- Cross border litigation for a Dubai based asset manager for recovery of funds in excess of R1 billion.
- Defending a Hong Kong listed group against claims by the liquidators and business rescue practitioners of mining companies in South Africa.
- Advising various clients in the course of the business rescue and liquidation proceedings of Optimum Coal Mine (Pty) Ltd, Evraz Highveld Steel and Vanadium Ltd and Dairybelle (Pty) Ltd.
- Representing directors and liquidators in enquiries.